Skip to main content

A Brief Update

It has been a while since anything has appeared on the blog and for that I apologize. I promise I didn't write a single post and then abandon this space. It has been a busy season in the life of our family and the church I pastor. However, I have made a commitment to giving time twice a week to writing and posting here starting in August. Stay tuned as there will be, I hope, some great content to engage and encourage you in your life and walk with Christ!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Beat The Devil

  The gunmetal gray clouds hung low over Broadway, as if the Devil himself had come to take stock of what was happening on Music Row. It was Wednesday and in the heart of the Bible Belt, it was the perfect night for a midweek revival service in the Neon Steeple at Chiefs. Smoke, from the burnt offering on the altar of Rodney Scott’s BBQ, filled the early afternoon air. While the threat of rain and the quickly dropping temps would’ve served as a deterrent to venture out on most nights, this wasn’t most nights. This was one of a select few nights where, weather be damned, the faithful were going to gather. The stained-glass, lit from the inside, cast a soft welcoming glow on the wet pavement as it marked the destination of the pilgrims headed down Broadway. Each window served as silent and vibrant reminder of the saints and sinners who’d come before and were in some way responsible for what was about to take place. Legends of country music from bygone eras and sports legends with the...

From Consuming to Cultivating

We live in a society that, for the most part, is morally and spiritually bankrupt. Our culture is a culture of consumerism. How sustainable is that? - Benjamin Bratt I'm not one for New Year's resolutions, personally. However, in the past few years I have allowed the end of the year to stir thoughts in me about long-term changes I can make that would better my own life, my family's life, and the lives of those that are in my life. As 2022 gave way to 2023 I began to consider what it would look like to begin to orient my life and our family's life around being cultivators rather than consumers. What does moving along the continuum from consumer to cultivator look like? I'm not entirely sure. But I do know that working toward being freed from the incessant cravings of consumerism is not something we will regret in the end. One thing that I became increasingly aware of in the latter half of 2022 was how consumerism was driving me to view everything as existing solely ...

On Pursuing Justice

I grew up in a time when going to a local shopping mall, Valley Hills Mall in Hickory NC to be exact, was the high watermark of the weekend. As with most malls then, and the malls that still see traffic today, there were various kiosks spread throughout the upper and lower levels. All manner of trinkets, skincare products, and toys were sold to passersby who were unfortunate enough to make eye contact with the person working the booth. Around Christmas there would always be the arrival of the 3D pictures called “Magic Eye.” You remember them, right? The poster size picture of a random pattern full of bright colors that had an image hidden in plain sight. At least that is the story I was told. I could never, and still to this day cannot see whatever image is hidden there. I’ve tried all the tricks and followed all the instructions of those who can see the picture in less than a minute. Nothing I’ve done works. As a kid it frustrated me to no end to have people tell me what they wer...